High Voltage Engineering Insulation Systems
Dates and Infos
Description of the lecture
The lecture deals with the physical fundamentals and background of high voltage insulation systems. Requirements for modern insulation systems are derived from the specific fields of application and the realisation is presented by means of various components. To fully understand the dimensioning criteria, different breakdown mechanisms in the different insulation media are derived.
- Electrical stress in high voltage grids
- Reasons for overvoltages in electrical transmission and distribution systems
- External overvoltages (lightning stroke)
- Internal overvoltages (switching)
- Function and dimensioning of surge arresters
- Characteristics, parameters, advantages and disadvantages of different insulation media
- Breakdown processes in vacuum and gaseous, liquid and solid dielectrics
- Determination of breakdown voltages in various insulation media
- Test systems for breakdown tests
- Production of insulation materials
- Dimensioning of insulation systems
- Insulation media for exemplary high voltage applications
Dr.-Ing. Ralf Puffer
None. The bachelor-lectures “Komponenten und Anlagen der elektrischen Energieversorgung” and the seminar “Hoch- und Mittelspannungsschaltgeräte und –anlagen” (both in German) offer an introduction into the field of electrical power engineering.
Written examination (see RWTHonline).
- Küchler, High Voltage Engineering, Springer Verlag
- Beyer/Beck/Möller/Zaengl: Hochspannungstechnik. Springer Verlag